Customer Support 24/7

Benjamin's Vivi Tone Mandolin

What a cool old mando!  This is a Vi Vi Tone out of Kalamazoo MI made in the 1930's by the legendary Lloyd Loar.  This mando is in for a new adjustable bridge.  More info on Vi Vi tone can be found at this link http://www.mandolincafe.com/glossary/glossary_57.shtml What a cool old mando! This is a Vi Vi Tone out of Kalamazoo MI made in the 1930's by the legendary Lloyd Loar. This mando is in for a new adjustable bridge. More info on Vi Vi tone can be found at this link http://www.mandolincafe.com/glossary/glossary_57.shtml
First, some eye candy.  The logo is spray painted on. The V's remind me of F5 head stocks. First, some eye candy. The logo is spray painted on. The V's remind me of F5 head stocks.
The tailpiece looks to have been sand casted. The tailpiece looks to have been sand casted.
Just a quick photo of the label. Just a quick photo of the label.
This is the back of the instruments.  Its' carved spruce with f-holes.  Super cool. This is the back of the instruments. Its' carved spruce with f-holes. Super cool.
Time to get down to business.  Here you can see the the original bridge, a template that I made, and the beginnings of the lower half of the new adjustable bridge. Time to get down to business. Here you can see the the original bridge, a template that I made, and the beginnings of the lower half of the new adjustable bridge.
I am temporarily gluing the ebony saddle to the maple bottom to make drilling the screw holes easier. I am temporarily gluing the ebony saddle to the maple bottom to make drilling the screw holes easier.
The two pieces are fitted together polished and drilled. The two pieces are fitted together polished and drilled.
Here you can see how the ebony has been separated from the maple and the adjusters have been installed. Here you can see how the ebony has been separated from the maple and the adjusters have been installed.
Now the feet of the bridge are carefully fitted to the top of the mandolin. Now the feet of the bridge are carefully fitted to the top of the mandolin.
Now I am setting the intonation so the mandolin will play in tune all the way down the neck. Now I am setting the intonation so the mandolin will play in tune all the way down the neck.
This is what the finished bridge looks like after the saddle has been carved.  Sorry about the bad angle.  It gives the false impression of uneven string height, but you will see in the next photo that all is well. This is what the finished bridge looks like after the saddle has been carved. Sorry about the bad angle. It gives the false impression of uneven string height, but you will see in the next photo that all is well.
The finished bridge installed on the mando.  Note that the strings are shifted to the left.  This was done purposefully to correct for a slightly crooked neck.  I deemed it more important for the strings to run down the center of the neck than the center of the bridge. The finished bridge installed on the mando. Note that the strings are shifted to the left. This was done purposefully to correct for a slightly crooked neck. I deemed it more important for the strings to run down the center of the neck than the center of the bridge.
As a last minute addition, Benjamin decided to have an ivory strap pin installed.  Here you can see me cutting the taper to fit the mando.  This pin will look great with the white headstock overlay. As a last minute addition, Benjamin decided to have an ivory strap pin installed. Here you can see me cutting the taper to fit the mando. This pin will look great with the white headstock overlay.
fin fin

Thanks again to everyone who read the post.  I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did making it.  Next up will be an old Guild with a belly ache.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

One thought on “Benjamin's Vivi Tone Mandolin”

  • jlp

    Andrew - I love reading these. I had no clue what went into restorations. You explain it all so well, it almost looks easy (HA HA!) Kudos!!!!

    Reply
Leave a Reply

Back to top